Daren Howard is an autistic parent of an autistic child and an experienced nonprofit leader. In addition to serving as the Deputy Director of the Autism Society of Minnesota, he also serves as a member of the Board of Directors at InPlay, a nonprofit that seeks to increase equitable access to after school and summer learning programs. Daren earned his MBA at California State University Dominguez Hills. He lives in the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul area with his wife and son.
- Deputy Director, Autism Society of Minnesota
- Executive Director, After-School All-Stars
- Director, Partnership for Children & Youth
- General Manager, Think Together
- Master of Business Administration; California State University Dominguez Hills, Carson, California, 2017
- Board of Directors, InPlay. 2019-Present
- Expanded Learning Policy Committee, California Department of Education, 2019-2020.
- After School Program Agency Qualification Review Committee, Oakland Unified School District, 2018
- Summer Learning Program Planning Toolkit Development Committee; Wallace Foundation, 2018
- Quality Design Team, Expanded Learning; California Department of Education, 2017-2018
- Quality Improvement Guidebook Development Committee; California Afterschool Network, 2017-2018
- Strategic Planning Design Committee; San Francisco Beacon Initiative, 2016
- Grant Application Reader; Oakland Fund for Children and Youth, 2015-2016
- School Climate and Culture Innovation Team; Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 Community School, 2015
- Steering Committee; Summer Matters, 2015-2016
- Gifted and Talented Education Advisory Board; South Whittier School District, 2015
- Expanded Learning Technical Assistance Provider; Los Angeles County Office of Education, 2014-2015
- Community Health Advisory Board; Los Nietos School District, 2014
- Howard, Daren. (2022). I am Autistic. Here’s What I Need You to Know. Medium.
- Howard, Daren. (2021). An Open Letter to Pandemic Educators. BOOST Collaborative.
- Howard, Daren. (2020). On the Frontlines of Pandemic Education. BOOST Collaborative.
- Howard, Daren. (2020). Leadership in Times of Crisis. BOOST Collaborative.
- Howard, Daren. (2019). A Short Story of Optimism and Generosity. BOOST Collaborative.
- Howard, Daren. (2019). How to Help Youth Activists Change the World. Youth Today.
- Howard, Daren. (2019). Are We Modeling Social Emotional Skills? BOOST Breakfast Club Blog.
- Howard, Daren. (2018). Supporting School Safety with Social-Emotional Learning. Sonoma County Office of Education.
- Howard, Daren. (2018). Coach for Confidence, not Compliance. Youth Today.
- Gabay-Swanston, Leslie, & Howard, Daren. (2017). The State of Summer Learning in Oakland. National Summer Learning Association.
- Howard, Daren. (2016). The Cost of Summer: Inside the Budgets of California’s Top Programs. Summer Matters.
- Howard, Daren. (2016). Summer Learning: As easy as 1, 2, 3. California School Boards Association.
- Malloy, Ryan, & Howard, Daren. (2015). An Inspiring Alternative to Summer School [Video]. Summer Matters.
- Wilson, E., Howard, D., & Bronk, T. (2022). Stories of Belonging. Autistic Community Summit. St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Hsaio, R., McCalmont, J. & Howard, D. (2018). Scaling Summer 201: Shared Vision and Citywide Coordination. National Summer Learning Association Conference. Kansas City, Missouri.
- Funk, M., Daraio, S., Lopez, F. & Howard, D. (2018). Shining the Light on Social-Emotional Learning: Program to Policy. BOOST Conference. Palm Springs, California.
- Ginty, M., Buggs, F. & Howard, D. (2018). Designing a High-Quality Summer Learning Program. BOOST Conference. Palm Springs, California.
- Howard, Daren. (2018). Design Thinking for Expanded Learning Educators. BOOST Conference. Palm Springs, California.
- Howard, Daren. (2018). Coaching for Quality Programs; Ready by 21 – Forum for Youth Investment. West Palm Beach, Florida.
- Howard, Daren. (2017). Supporting Social Emotional Learning After School. Bridging the Bay – Alameda County Office of Education. Hayward, California.
- Howard, Daren. (2017). Design Thinking for Youth Voice. Bridging the Bay – Alameda County Office of Education. Hayward, California.
- Howard, D. & Gabay-Swanston, L. (2017). Scaling Summer 101: Building Community-wide Systems and Strategies for Summer Learning. National Summer Learning Association Conference. Phoenix, Arizona.
- Howard. Daren. (2017). Quality Standards for Education in Public and Affordable Housing. Council of Large Public Housing Authorities. Washington, D.C.
- Howard, Daren. (2016). Responsive Coaching Conversations that Empower Staff. Dare to Disrupt – School’s Out Washington. Seattle, Washington.
- Howard, Daren. (2015). Summer Learning Day Keynote. United Way of Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara, California.